Hearty Vegetable Soup
May 4, 2020
I love Vegetable soup and I do not really have a recipe as such I use whatever vegetables are in season and lots of them. I avoid broccoli as I do not like the texture it gives the finished soup. I usually make soup in exceptionally large batches and freeze in containers for two. My daughter joins in the soup making and makes some for her house so we use a large pot. I get containers from Amazon.
For this Batch I used several different vegetables and I get several servings.
- 4 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 medium yellow turnip (ruttabago)
- Bok Choi 1 head
- 4 sticks Celery
- 2 yellow Squash or any squash
- Red and Green pepper
- 2 courgettes
- 1 large sliced onion
- 4 potatoes
- 3 liters of organic vegetable stock
- 2 Ozs of butter
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric to enhance the rich yellow color
- Clean and prepare the vegetables. Melt the butter and sauté the vegetables in the butter until they are covered. Add the stock you will need the stock to be just Cover the vegetables for a nice creamy soup. If you are making a smaller batch you will need less stock but make sure it covers the vegetables. The potatoes also give the soup body. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil them simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Add the turmeric. Using a hand blender blend the soup to a puree. Test for taste and add more salt if needed. That is it, serve with crusty bread or Irish soda bread for a great meal.